|Moulding in the living room re-done.||Here, the old moulding is removed.|
|The best piece of the old moulding is saved to make a template.||A cross section of the old moulding reveals that the moulding was run in place, and the Greek keys were stuck on later.|
|The moulding is squared up first by cutting with a miter saw.||I cut another piece of aluminum from my
rebuilding DC sign.
You may have seen it before. I have been using this sign for eight years.
|A mold template is made by cutting and filing a little at a time.||The mold template is screwed to a wood backup. The last two details are screwed on and bent back. These not only make the last step, but allow the mold template to slide easily.|
|A wood strip is nailed to the wall for the template to slide on.||The ceiling is checked wit a miter rod. The ceiling must be dead straight for the moulding to look right.|
The moulding is filled with moulding plaster and lime and run with the mold template as the mortar starts to set.
|After several passes, our moulding is shaping up.||The joins are tooled in with a mitering rod.|
|I got this mold rubber from smooth-on. It is made for casting
on the wall. After four coats, I had a decent copy.
|I made a plaster backup,and a
box for casting. I poured the
Greek keys in sections about a foot long with moulding plaster
|The casts are trimmed to fit using a knife.||The back of the cast is scored
to provide a good bond.
The casts are the stuck on using moulding plaster and lime.
All there is left now is to fill the joints.